Doctrine & Covenants 93:1

"Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am."

Monday, June 14, 2010

June 14, 2010

Dear Mom
For one thing I cannot believe how it is already summer! It was just winter, then spring for about a day, then constant sunshine. The Finnish summers are gorgeous. I wake up to sunlight and fall asleep to sunlight. It does not matter to me if the sun shines when I sleep. I am too tired to bother about it anyways. But currently, I am just loving life. Elder Henderson and I will be together for another change (6 weeks) so I'm pretty excited (understatement).

Currently, M., our young investigator, is still with her mom up in lapland (or in other words North Pole) so we have not been able to meet with her. M. and J. had their baby so they are excited. We made for them cookies and gave them the January Liahona which explains so well the basics of God- Our Heavenly Father. We will be meeting this week. This past week Elder Henderson and I had splits with the Pietarsaari elders. Elder Karlsson, my former swedish companion in Kouvola, is there. It was a great experience. I met one family, F., where the mother and children are from a country in Africa where they only know Portaguese. They are refugees and the father died in Africa. So they came to Pietarsaari where they only speak Swedish and Finnish. Miraculously, there is a family in Pietarsaari who lived in South America for 15 years. So they speak Spanish and translate the lessons from Swedish, English and Finnish into Spanish. Fortunately Portaguese speakers understand Spanish speakers. So we had a teach with them and there were about four to five languages being spoken. After the teach my head was pretty sore. In the end we were able to teach about temples and importance of family home evening.

I love each of you so much. I will be sending pictures soon.
Love
V. Hamner

I forgot to write about how in church this past sunday I translated for this senior missionary couple in sunday school. I did not realize how hard it is. Finnish is nothing like English and on top of that you have to continually remember what the teacher is saying so the whole thing is understandable. Another instance where my head was sore afterwards :)
Love
V. Hamner


No comments:

Helaman 5:12

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.