Doctrine & Covenants 93:1

"Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am."

Monday, April 11, 2011

Apr. 11, 2011

Dearest Mom and family,
What a wonderful week! This past Tuesday Elder Esplin, before he left for Hyvinkää, and I went to the temple which was needed. This past week has been full of prayer and fasting as I prepare to train my new companion and finish as strong as ever for my last 6 weeks. I know that as I consecrate this time even better the Lord will lead me to those people I need to find.
These past two weeks have been quite rough but what a great learning. Our whole teaching pool did a flip-flop (Test of Faith). All of our investigators have not been able to get a hold of including A. Soo weird. So I have been praying for the Lord to guide us to those elect even more. And sure enough the Lord has helped guide us to two families and many others within a couple of days. I love how the Lord will have us walk into the darkness with the knowledge/testimony He has given to us and then expect us to act. So we did and the Lord answered.
Currently A has dropped his baptismal date but we are striving to work with him. He has not answered his phone for a couple of days. He is very nervous about his upcoming baptism. He is ready, but the devil is doing his thing (btw I would like to punch him someday :)) So we are upping our efforts even more.
My companion, Elder Merkley, is doing well. He has a strong desire to learn Finnish and I am doing everything to teach, coach, and motivate. I love him. Immediately when I met him I could feel that he has a heart of gold.
I hope you are doing well. Thank you for your prayers. Each one helps and I know that He answers.
This next week is district meeting where we will be focusing on how the investigator must develop their personal line to heaven- through prayer.
Good Story of a good member- There is one member in our ward who is always willing to come to teaches and occasionally invites us over for food. Well this past week he invited us over to eat and to allow my companion, Elder Merkley try on extra jackets. So we did and during dinner he gave us two personally framed pictures. I asked him to sign it. Then we gave a short spiritual thought about Alma 37:37 regarding counseling with the Lord in prayer. He was touched by the passage because at this time in his life he needed to hear that. He shared that with us. My heart grew ten-fold for this older saint who is trying to do his best. And I know there are many more whether inside or outside the church who just need comfort and guidance. And the scriptures provide that.
Excellent quote from Elder Esplin's dad- ''The Lord does not usually reward faithfulness with success but with greater faith.'' What a humm-dinger!:)
With Love
Vanhin Hamner

No comments:

Helaman 5:12

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.