Doctrine & Covenants 93:1

"Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am."

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Apr. 25, 2011

Dearest Mom and family, What a beautiful week. The sun is out everyday! So different from what I am used to. Almost all of the snow is melted and now I am wearing a light jacket.
This past week was fun and full of faith building experiences. I pray that I can sufficiently describe each and you can feel the power of the Holy Ghost because some wonderful things are happening here.
First of all the mission is breaking records that have not been reached for about 25 years. Also the members are more on board then ever. We are now trying to train those who are so willing to help.
Second, remember when I shared with you about how our teaching pool did a flip-flop. From 5 progressing investigators, 3 with a baptismal date to almost no one progressing. Well the Lord has blessed us as we strived to keep our vision sharp for the elect. And this past week we are seeing more fruit of our labors. One experience: we were looking over our potential investigators (those who showed interest but have not started meeting yet) and started to get in contact. One name seemed to be over looked...J. So I called him and set up an appointment for the following day. Well that day I was on splits in another area but when I came back to hear the report of the day Elder Merkley told me that they set a baptismal date with him! So now A going for the 7th of May and J for the 21st of May. And on top of that the Lord has guided us to many good people.
Third, throughout my mission my mission president has told us to focus our studies on the needs of our investigators. Well I can personally say that as I have just forgotten my needs and just focused on studying for others the Lord has always blessed me ten-fold more than if I studied for my personal needs. That principle seems to be so simple but when you sacrifice that precious time in the service of others then miracles happen and you come closer to heaven.
And finally fourth, training is a wonderful experience. As I am working with Elder Merkley the Lord is teaching me how to become a better dad. And one of the main lessons I am learning is to listen. Because ''when we listen more carefully to others, we understand them better. (PMG ch.10 ''Listening'')'' So as I have listened more with my ears as well as my heart the Lord has helped guide me in counseling and teaching.
Thank you for your email. I love to hear from you. Please pray that A and J will keep their commitments and attend church regularly.
I love you. Please remember how much I do.
With all the love I can muster
Elder Hamner

No comments:

Helaman 5:12

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.