Doctrine & Covenants 93:1

"Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am."

Monday, October 12, 2009

Oct. 12,2009

Rakas Perhe
12 Oct 09
Well in Finland it is becoming a little chilly (which is the best to wake up to). Currently we have one investigator who has a baptismal date. We also have so many potential investigators. We are so busy now which is the BEST.
I also wanted to share with you some Finnish customs/things they do. First of all their food is pretty much all organic. Their vegetables almost taste like candy...yum porkkanat (carrots). Secondly you have to pay for grocery bags so people bring baskets. I bring my duffle bag so it works out pretty well. Their chocolate is sooo good; however, I do not eat a lot of it. Kouvola is a driving city. With the members at dinner appointments- you are expected to eat everything on your plate (courteous just like in the US). Also they always feed you dessert. I have not had mustamakara (blood sausage) but I will soon.
My companion Elder Karlsson is amazing. I love his ''lets do it now'' attitude. He has been in Suomi(Finland) for 4 changes (1 change=1.5 months/ 6 weeks). We love to run in the mornings and missionary work. The Lord is blessing Suomi so much.
In two weeks I will be able to go to the temple in Helsinki. I cannot wait for that. The reason is that Elder Karlsson has language school and they send the companions to the temple.
The Lord is blessing me so much with the language. The mission did away with setting specific days to SYL (speak your language). Now we SYL as much as we can all day every day. It helps so much. Pres. Luthy (current temple pres of Helsinki temple and professor of linguistics at BYU) said that SYL is the glue to sticks all the grammar and vocab together. It is so weird to think how little time we have studied Finnish and yet we can teach and communicate. I couldn't do this after 4 years of spanish!
I love you all!
Rakkaudella,
Vanhin Hamner

No comments:

Helaman 5:12

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.