Doctrine & Covenants 93:1

"Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am."

Monday, November 8, 2010

Nov. 8, 2010

Dearest Family:)

This past week flew as fast as some of those Finns speak- lets just say lightning:) Earlier this week we had splits with the elders from Kajaani in Oulu, our city, during which the Lord guided my companion and another elder to this man-S.. They set up an appointment and Elder Bradshaw ( from Kajaani) and I went the following morning (ps still splits). As we were teaching the Spirit helped us say certain things that softened his heart and helped him embrace the message. At the end of the first lesson in which we focused on the Book of Mormon, he promised, ‘‘If I come to that point of receiving answer that this is true I will be baptized.'' I assured him by saying, ''I know that God will answer you when you do so sincerely.'' During the teach the Spirit would whisper to me when something would hit home for him. Then we would camp on it. Lesson: by focusing on people the Spirit can testify more strongly and help you fulfill their needs. This principle applies to all teaching- missionary work, home teaching, visiting teaching, teaching children. It is all about the one. The Savior did this perfectly. He knew how to teach, care for, and love each one perfectly. That is a worthy goal to strive for.

In addition to what I have written, I thought you might enjoy some funny stories: 1. while I was at a member's home there was a little boy playing with his grandmother and I asked the little boy, ''Do you like Mummi (cartoon for children)?'' but I said ''Do you like Muumi (mom)?'' Fortunately the mother was not there, but the grandmother and us had a good laugh. 2. While on splits we were making eggs and an idea came to mind to add cayenne pepper like I have done in the past. So I searched for it but could not find any. Then I remembered that Dad sent me cayenne pepper tablets. So I took one tablet of ''unknown powder to the other elders'' and added to some of the eggs. Two elders thought I was going crazy for a moment adding drugs into the eggs. I eventually told them the truth but it was fun to see their reactions.

Thank you for your email. I appreciate it and look forward to hearing how the Lord's hand was a part of your week.

Love
Elder Hamner

No comments:

Helaman 5:12

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.