Doctrine & Covenants 93:1

"Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am."

Monday, February 7, 2011

Feb. 7, 2011

Dearest Mom and Family,

What a crazy, blessed week!
I pray that the Holy Ghost will help me as I share about this past week. The Lord does lead this work. I can illustrate by an experience. This past Sunday we had a lesson with a less-active/part-member family after church. We needed to leave from church shortly after the third hour but we were called into a short meeting. We could have canceled on the meeting but we felt alright to attend. Then upon the end of the meeting we were off to catch our bus to the family's home. However we found that we missed it but we are at peace, and we called the family informing them of our tardiness. While waiting at the bus stop we meet one young lady, A. I started to talk to her and shared how Heavenly Father is interested in our lives and is very personal. The Spirit touched her heart and she accepted the missionaries to visit; however she is going back to Estonia for school. We said, ''No problem, there are missionaries there too who want to share more about this message''. We got on the bus and we taught more about the Restored Gospel and the Book of Mormon. A was surprised and grateful when I offered to give the Book of Mormon before she left. I shared how the Book of Mormon has changed my life and opened my eyes to Heavenly Father. She then left, but before she left she gave her address for the missionaries to visit. This was a tender mercy to find A and give her a piece of heaven. Also thank you for your prayers. They played a role in this miracle. We will be sending her info to our mission office and then she will be taken care of.
One of our investigators, A is progressing well. We are helping him stop smoking and the Lord is strengthening him little by little. It is blessing to be a part of his developing greater faith. For example, he set originally to stop smoking by September and then we helped him move it up sooner to June. But we felt he could do better as the Lord's servants we helped him see that within a month he could do it. He felt good with that and has set it as his goal. He has shared that as he has prayed and read from the scriptures more and more the desire to smoke has decreased. What a simple miracle!
At this time in Helsinki the weather has been quite warm 32 degrees F. Usually the month of February is the coldest of the year. Because of the good weather, Elder Pace and I have been running each morning.
Regarding our food, this past week I made broccoli cheese and potato soup! Oh it tasted just like home except in the potato soup I added broccoli and carrots. Soups are great for the winter.
I hope your first week of February has gone well. I love you and pray for you too.
Love
Elder Hamner

No comments:

Helaman 5:12

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.