Doctrine & Covenants 93:1

"Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am."

Monday, January 25, 2010

Jan. 25, 2010

Rakas Perhe

25 Jan 10

Wow January is coming to a close. Quite crazy. This past week has been amazing. We found 3 new investigators and one of them is just goldern- Jesse 23 yr old (just the kind of person Pori needs!).
The Lord is blessing our efforts so much and in many different ways.
This past week was Kieli Koulu (language school) where Elder Pond and I traveled to Helsinki (4 hr train ride one way). It was great for Elder Pond was able to go to the temple and I was able to ask langauge questions and develop better langauge study plan. I had a blast for I was with my MTC group (all missionaries when they reach their 6 month mark have a kieli koulu).
This is something special about buying produce in Finland. Most of it is imported therefore more expensive but you get from the best source. Let me provide some mouth-watering examples. I just had a dinner appointment where the member prepared Norwegian salmon with mashed potatoes (maybe my favorite meal since being in Finland), grapes from Greece, bananas from panama and Ecuador, and even Froot Loops from America (which costs 8£=$12). Don’t worry I don’t waste money on Froot Loops but quite funny when a missionary gives in to the tempation.
I have a pretty funny story. We found a english speaking investigator and so we had the first lesson teach-the Restoration. So Elder Pond and I prepared accordingly. When the teach came we were ready, I felt confident for it was in english. No sweat it’s my native tongue. However as we taught I was having trouble teaching-organizing my thoughts to make them coherent. My companion, who’s been here for a few weeks, took over and did a superb job. Afterwards we just laughed. The greenie teaching the trainer. It was a great experience. We grew even closer after that.
Training is such a blessing. The Lord is tutoring me much concerning how to be a better companion and trainer. I remember in the MTC when Elder Holland spoke to us regarding the Divine Companionship of the Holy Ghost. He challenged each of us to commit to be a divine companion- strive EACH day to follow the promptings of the Spirit, live worthy to receive this so needed divine guidance, and be the best companion one can be or in other words….divine. Everyone can be more ‘’divine’’. We can express more love, smile more, maybe even just say a quick prayer for someone who needs it.

I love you all and very much appreciate your prayers. They are heard and answered. I know for a surety that is so.

Rakkaudella,
Vanhin Hamner

No comments:

Helaman 5:12

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.