Doctrine & Covenants 93:1

"Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am."

Monday, March 22, 2010

Mar 22, 2010

Dear Mom & Family,

This past week has been quite eventful. We had district meeting in Turku (about 2 hour drive). The drive back the Lord taught me much, and I felt complete peace as we drove through the beautiful country side.
The Lord continually is guiding me along this journey. I wish I could write each precious experience but that would not be appropriate in an email nor do I have time.
I will share this though. Peace is priceless and only through the Savior can one actually taste heaven while in these earthly tabernacles.

About this week, I still make smoothies but not every day but in them I include wheat grass and when I remember wheat germ. This past week I made banana bread. Se onnistui (It succeeded!) Elder Pond liked it too. I added cinnamon to the recipe to see what would happen. This was my thought process in the baking process- I looked up in the cupboard and saw cinnamon. I thought, '' I like cinnamon, let's try it!''

This past sunday Elder Pond and I both gave talks in sacrament. The two days before church I helped him translate. Then we took both of our talks to a member to edit.

Also, I received my change call. I will be moving to Lahti to be the district leader of the Tampere District. Also my new companion will be Elder Lytle who has been in the country for 6 weeks. One thing of the many things I am looking forward to is to be in a city where we walk around and use the bus system. Two benefits-1. we are able to interact/talk with more people 2. I will be burning more calories. It is pretty tough to get cardio workout when you drive everywhere and it is too cold to run in the morning.

In addition, because this next change Elder Lytle has kieli koulu in Helsinki which means I will have the opportunity to attend the temple. I am already beginning to prepare so that I will ask the right questions, learn what I need to learn or in other words that my eyes, ears, and heart will be open to the whisperings of the Holy Ghost.

If you look in Mosiah right before King Benjamin spoke the people prepared by sacrificing burnt offerings eli (or in other words) performing temple ordinances before his speech (Gen Conf)

That would be my commitment to you which is to prepare the best way you can for General Conference so that your eyes, ears, and hearts will be open to what you need to hear and apply. I am doing the same now. We must pay the price for such precious revelation. President Brown sent this quotation to me this past week in his weekly email:

“Humility is that quality that permits us to be taught from on high through the spirit or to be taught from sources whose origin was inspiration from the Lord, such as scriptures and the comments of the prophets. Humility is the precious, fertile soil of righteous character. In it, the seeds of personal growth germinate. When cultivated through the exercise of faith, pruned by repentance, and fortified by obedience and good works, such seeds produce the cherished fruit of spiritual direction.”  Richard G. Scott

Talk about powerful. I love each of you so much. Keep striving to become what you promised you would be before you came to this earth.
Love,
Vanhin Hamner

PS Thank you for the recipes. I will check to see if dates are even in Finland.

No comments:

Helaman 5:12

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.