Doctrine & Covenants 93:1

"Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am."

Monday, March 29, 2010

Mar. 29,2010

Dear Family...and caterpillars:)


Wow, this week has been crazy. Lahti is a beautiful city with an amazing ward....just ward not branch. It reminds me so much of home.

First of all, I will get a picture with my new companion this week, then email it to you all. Also keep sending letters and packages to the Neitsytpolku Helsinki address. Its better that way.

The Lord has blessed Elder Lytle and I so much this week. Miracles are just occuring. One night we went tracting in search of a potential investigator. So we made it to the place, but unfortunately they weren't interested anymore....Just wait it gets better. Then we decided to knock the doors around the former potential but almost all the doors were already tracted except one. We knocked and a dad with a baby boy answered. We taught about the Book of Mormon, and he was really interested. He told us during our discussion that in the past month he has experienced an ''awakening'' and right now he is trying to find what God wants him to find. We will be following up on him soon. We gave him a Mormonin Kirja (Book of Mormon) and a couple of pamphlets.What is even better is that he mentioned, ''I feel good talking with you'' and ''I believe there was no coicidence that you two came here at this time.''Afterwards as we were returning home to catch the bus, we missed the last one. Therefore we walked an hour home. Hold on, it gets better. Isn't this exciting?! As we were entering the keskusta (downtown where we live) we saw one man who was alone. We started to talk with him and it was apparent he just came from the bar. We talked, and he expressed sincere desire to change. As he was in the bar just a moment ago, he came to the realization that this is not happiness. So he left and thats when he met us. He told us that he failed the Alcoholic Anonymous program because it was focused on critizing yourself. He wanted nothing to do with that. As we discussed, taught, testified, He felt the Spirit enough to want to know more. He said that he has failed everything but I asked him, ''Do you have a desire to change?'' Hän sanoi (He said) ''Yes I do'' I replied, ''Then you can do it'' I taught how Heavenly Father will work with us as we desire and act upon it. Heavenly Father will strengthen our resolve to change as we follow the steps He has outlined so lovingly.

These encounters were no coincidence. Thank you for your prayers. For they affect many lives including the Finns who head the Spirit whispering to them. Thank you.

This next week is General Conference. I am so excited! I am still studying the General Conference issue of the Liahona from last year. So many golden nuggets!

I love you all
Vanhin Hamner

No comments:

Helaman 5:12

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.