Doctrine & Covenants 93:1

"Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am."

Monday, May 24, 2010

May 24, 2010

Dear Mom and lovely family of mine :)
 
Wow it is seems that each 6 week tranfer goes faster and faster. This past week Elder Henderson and I had splits with the elders in Kajaani. While there I interviewed E. for baptism. I still remember vividly when the Spirit confirmed it in my heart that he was ready. It was during the closing prayer which E offered when he said, Please help me become a better person'' After that sentence I knew without a doubt he was ready for baptism. For he had a broken heart and contrite spirit. I know for I felt it.

It is interesting how we as humans sometimes try to make spiritual things into physical, tangible things. I can give an example, We had a teach with one investigator who brought a friend who questioned the reality of God. He said where is God? Have you seen Him? How can you know He is real? Well the member we brought with us answered in the best manner with a question. P, the member, asked, '' What is love? Please show to me how much you love your children?'' P helped the athiest, whos name was H. realize that you cannot put everything into scientific terms. The humans feelings are just as real as the other senses.
This past week I have focused on getting more out of my personal study rather than just spiritual strength. (More bang for my buck!) For example, if I compared personal study to receiving the necessary energy to live and do missionary work. I could just receive an IV (needle and nutritous liquid) or I could eat a good healthy beef stew with vegetables. The IV provides the necessary energy  (Receive necessary spiritual strength to keep going) but the soup provides even more. There is subtance in the soup than the IV. One can be more effective with the Soup rather than the emergency life support.

 I wish I could write more but more time has come to an end. I love you!
 Vanhin Hamner

No comments:

Helaman 5:12

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.